Welcome to the fifth episode of Side Biz Start
- What is this podcast? – go back and listen to the first episode
- Main topic today – understanding and overcoming personal limitations
Everyone has personal limitations
- Last episode, we talked about our skills and strengths, but everybody also has weaknesses and limitations
- As entrepreneurs, we tend to have what I’ve heard called “Superhero Syndrome” – feeling like we can do and handle everything
- Believing this, however, is our greatest weakness
- Acknowledging and admitting your limitations is the first step in being able to overcome them
Understanding your limitations
- After going through the exercise in episode 4, you should have a good idea of what your strengths are. At the same time, you should have revealed many weaknesses.
- The first thing you need to understand is that it is okay to have weaknesses.
- In fact, it is good to have weaknesses.
- Without weaknesses, you would never need help
- Without help, your growth will be limited, at least by time and energy
- Having weaknesses (and addressing them) leads you to seek help
- With additional help to cover where you are weak allows each of you to focus on your strengths
- When you each focus on your strengths and work together, you can accomplish more than the sum of what you could do individually
Overcoming your limitations
- To overcome your limitations, you are not working to improve your weakness to make them a strength
- You are working with someone else that has a strength in the area in which you are weak.
- Together, you are able to accomplish much more – not in spite of your weaknesses, but rather because of the help you are providing and receive due to your weaknesses.
The more, the merrier
- Having one person help cover your weaknesses helps a lot; but having more people working together to cover each other’s weaknesses is an even greater help.
- This is because the more people you have working together, the more single-minded you each can be – allowing you to really focus and specialize in a particular area.
- This is also a Biblical principle found in Ecclesiastes 4:9-12:
- Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
- For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
- Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
- And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
- The One Thing book and podcast
Do you have something to say?
- If you have a question or comment, I’d love to hear it! You can contact via the website (SideBizStart.com/contact) or call 405-771-0567.
- You can also leave a comment on the show notes on the website, on social media, or by leaving a rating and review on your podcast player. These not only give me feedback, but can help the community as well.
- I’m thinking about starting a Facebook group that can serve as a way to help you create and keep the right mindset. It’ll be like an informal mastermind group where you can ask and answer questions as well as share the progress of your side biz. If you’d be interested in this, please let me know. I don’t want to create a ghost town, so I want to know that there is interest in this.