Welcome to the fourth episode of Side Biz Start
- What is this podcast? – go back and listen to the first episode
- Main topic today – figuring out what your strengths are
Why you need to identify your skills and strengths
- Everyone, especially someone trying to start a business, should know what they can and cannot do.
- Equally, you should know what you enjoy doing and what you don’t.
How to identify these and take action
- Start by making a simple list:
- Make a list of what you can and cannot do.
- After you’re done with that, mark the ones in both lists that you enjoy doing.
- This will leave you with with four categories of skills:
- Skills you have and enjoy
- Skills you don’t have but enjoy
- Skills you have but don’t enjoy
- Skills you don’t have and don’t enjoy
- You could also create this in a matrix similar to the Time Management Matrix promoted by Stephen Covey.
- After identifying your skills and pinpointing the target quadrant (skills you have and enjoy), these will become the target you work toward working with as much as possible.
- Working in your strengths is where you’ll be able to grow the best.
- Try to find ways to eliminate (if possible) or delegate (if needed) the skills that you are either not good at or don’t enjoy.
- There may be some things, especially at first, that you’ll need to do that aren’t ideal, but continually work to work more in your skills and strengths.
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Procrastinate on Purpose
- The One Thing
- Happen To Your Career, free 8-day course
Do you have something to say?
- If you have a question or comment, I’d love to hear it! You can contact via the website (SideBizStart.com/contact) or call 405-771-0567.
- You can also leave a comment on the show notes on the website, on social media, or by leaving a rating and review on your podcast player. These not only give me feedback, but can help the community as well.
- I’m thinking about starting a Facebook group that can serve as a way to help you create and keep the right mindset. It’ll be like an informal mastermind group where you can ask and answer questions as well as share the progress of your side biz. If you’d be interested in this, please let me know. I don’t want to create a ghost town, so I want to know that there is interest in this.